It Is written— “Wisdom Is the Principal Thing…” (Proverbs 4:7).
To fully understand this statement, and moreso the why, one has first to ask the question–What Is Wisdom?
- “Unto man He said, Behold, the Fear of the Lord, that is Wisdom. (Job 28:28)
- Moses said–“Behold I have taught you statutes and judgments… keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom…” (Deuteronomy 4:6).
- David said—The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom. (Proverbs 1:7,9:10). (Psalm 111:10).
- Jesus said, “Whosoever hears these sayings of mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man… (Matthew 7:24).
- Dr. Mike Murdock said, “Wisdom is the ability to discern differences. The Eyes see The Ears hear; The Mouth speaks…”
To Hear “The Word of God,” Understand it, and most importantly, Do it. That is Wisdom.
But, what does it mean “To Fear God.”
To fear God is to give respect, honor, and reverence to His word, His name, His holiness. God is a spirit, and they that worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.
If we can give respect and honor to a president, or king, or someone in great power and authority–How much more ought we to reverence God as creator, the one who holds life in his hands.
Indeed, it is in Him we live, and move, and have our very being… The very breath we breathe is because of Him. (Acts 17:28).
Having a clear understanding of “Wisdom,” and “The Fear of God” let us now go on to–Why Wisdom is the principal thing.
The Bible says, “Get Wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee:
Love her, and she shall keep thee.
Exalt her, and she shall promote thee:
She shall bring thee to honor when thou dost embrace her.
She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.
Happy is the man that findeth Wisdom and the man that getteth understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.
She is more precious than rubies: all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.
Length of days is in her right hand, and in her left hand– riches and honor.
Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.
She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is everyone that retaineth her.
“WISDOM IS THE PRINCIPAL THING…”